RED VELVET CUPCAKES
Food coloring gives red velvet batter its signature appearance. But not all food colorings are plant-based, and some are far from it. This has long been a topic among vegans, with the color red getting most of the negative attention. Happily, according to the customer service department at McCormick, one of the most readily available brands, their red food coloring is now 100 percent vegan.
Of course this recipe below does take a few liberties with the red velvet tradition, but you will find that by eliminating eggs, buttermilk and shortening, this cupcake is actually delightfully light, yet still moist and heavenly. Read more .…..
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- Icing Ingredients
- 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 to 5 teaspoons soymilk
- Dash of vanilla or almond extract
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with 12 paper cupcake liners.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together soymilk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together canola oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, and red food coloring. Add the curdled soymilk, and mix well to combine.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry, and mix just until large lumps disappear.
- Fill cupcake liners evenly. Bake 22 to 23 minutes, until toothpick inserted through the center of one comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
TO MAKE THE ICING:
- While cupcakes are cooling, whisk together confectioner’s sugar with a small amount of soymilk at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Just before serving, drizzle cupcakes with icing, and serve immediately.
- (Adapted from “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World,” by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.)
Read more .…..